AKC CGC RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNER'S PLEDGEŽ
CANINE GOOD CITIZEN OWNER'S COMMITMENT
TO RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERSHIP
I understand that to truly be a Canine Good Citizen, my dog needs a responsible owner. I
agree to maintain my dog's health, safety, and quality of life. By participating in the
Canine Good Citizen test, I agree:
I will be responsible for my dog's health needs. These include:
- routine veterinary care including check-ups and vaccines
- adequate nutrition through proper diet; clean water at all times
- daily exercise and regular bathing and grooming
I will be responsible for my dog's safety.
- I will properly control my dog by providing fencing where appropriate, not letting my dog run loose, and using a leash in public.
- I will ensure that my dog has some form of identification (which may include collar tags, tattoos, or microchip ID).
I will not allow my dog to infringe on the rights of others.
- I will not allow my dog to run loose in the neighborhood.
- I will not allow my dog to be a nuisance to others by barking while in the yard, in a hotel room, etc.
- I will pick up and properly dispose of my dog's waste in all public areas such as on the grounds of hotels, on sidewalks, parks, etc.
- I will pick up and properly dispose of my dog's waste in wilderness areas, on hiking trails, campgrounds and in off-leash parks.
I will be responsible for my dog's quality of life.
- I understand that basic training is beneficial to all dogs.
- I will give my dog attention and playtime.
- I understand that owning a dog is a commitment in time and caring.
After signing the pledge, owners and their dogs will be ready for the AKC Canine Good Citizenship Test
Our dogs will love and admire the meanest of us, and feed our colossal vanity with their uncritical homage.