AKC CGC RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNER'S PLEDGEŽ
CANINE GOOD CITIZEN OWNER'S COMMITMENT
TO RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERSHIP
I understand that to truly be a Canine Good Citizen, my dog needs a responsible owner. I
agree to maintain my dog's health, safety, and quality of life. By participating in the
Canine Good Citizen test, I agree:
I will be responsible for my dog's health needs. These include:
- routine veterinary care including check-ups and vaccines
- adequate nutrition through proper diet; clean water at all times
- daily exercise and regular bathing and grooming
I will be responsible for my dog's safety.
- I will properly control my dog by providing fencing where appropriate, not letting my dog run loose, and using a leash in public.
- I will ensure that my dog has some form of identification (which may include collar tags, tattoos, or microchip ID).
I will not allow my dog to infringe on the rights of others.
- I will not allow my dog to run loose in the neighborhood.
- I will not allow my dog to be a nuisance to others by barking while in the yard, in a hotel room, etc.
- I will pick up and properly dispose of my dog's waste in all public areas such as on the grounds of hotels, on sidewalks, parks, etc.
- I will pick up and properly dispose of my dog's waste in wilderness areas, on hiking trails, campgrounds and in off-leash parks.
I will be responsible for my dog's quality of life.
- I understand that basic training is beneficial to all dogs.
- I will give my dog attention and playtime.
- I understand that owning a dog is a commitment in time and caring.
After signing the pledge, owners and their dogs will be ready for the AKC Canine Good Citizenship Test
You do not own a dog, the dog owns you.